Saturday, January 28, 2012

Magntic fun!

Magnets are Fasinating!

Who hasn't gotten sucked into a slightly meditative state by the push and pull that is possible with magnets? I bought a set of magnets from amazon, after seeing someone paint with magnets on plexiglass! (I'm sorry, I can't find the inspiring picture now!) Seeing that activity sparked a memory from when I taught pre-k. I had hung a piece of plexiglas from my ceiling in the science center for the children to use while exploring magnets. So I quickly adapted that idea to the home. I duct taped a piece of plexiglass, that is usually the painting surface on our homemade easel, between to chairs and told M to slide under.

I put the magnetic balls on top and gave her one of the wands. She had them rockin' and rollin' in no time! A few days later we added paint to the equation. For this project I created edges around the plexiglass to contain the paint covered magnetic balls! This time she sat in front of the plexiglass, while working the magnet under it. This position gave her greater control.

We tried it a few different ways. I squirted paint directly on the plexiglass and she made designs in the paint, that we then made a print of. Then we put down the paper first with a squirt of paint, a circle works well. They are almost guaranteed to move enough paint with the magnets to feel successful.

Magnets are not just for the refrigerator any more! What ideas do ou have to extend magnetic play?

No comments:

Post a Comment