Friday, January 13, 2012

Adventures in a Vegan Kitchen

So today I decided that I would try a couple new recepies. About a month ago my husband and I went Vegan. I'm mostly doing it to support him. After watching Forks over Knives it was hard not to. Anyways, we have both been enjoying it and have not missed meat. I personally still have some cheese and ice cream.

I enjoy baking with my little one. So today I decided to try to make Baby Cakes' blueberry muffins and chickpea chocolate chip cookie balls from purplebirdblog.com The muffins came out well, but M spit it out! Argh... Blueberry muffins are her favorite. The only big difference was that I used Bob's Red Mills GF Baking Mix, like the recipe called for. My husband and I liked them though. Maybe M will come around.


My next adventure was to attempt chickpea cookies. After the muffin flop (in terms of getting M to eat it), I didn't hold out much hope for bean cookies....but they are great! I have never before 'peeled' a chickpea, but I wanted to ensure a smooth cookie. I used the PBB's recipe as a frame work. (I added too much almond milk, so I never got a stiff dough that could be rolled into a ball like she did)

Here's what I used: 1 can chick peas- peeled
1 can of navy beans
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 TBS of the GF baking mix, I had to add 2 extra TBS because I added too much almond milk
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1/2 tsp of salt
3 tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of chocolate chips (enjoy life brand)
 A drizzle of almond milk

I had to bake them at 400 degrees for 20 min They look a lot like 'regular' chocolate chip cookies. You would never know that they are made with beans! Granted, M won't even try it... tomorrow perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment