Saturday, January 28, 2012

grocery shopping can be fun!

It's kind of a novel idea, isn't it?  Especially if you are taking your little ones with you.  It would be wonderful if our children could help us get this chore done, and learn something in the process, wouldn't it?




I was talking with a friend the other day about needing to go to the grocery store.  I was saying that I still put M in the cart because it's easier for me to think while I'm in the store.  Seeing as it's almost physically impossible to fit her in there anymore, I knew that my shopping trips like this would not last much longer. 

We had a brief brainstorming session about how to create a list that is preschooler friendly.  We decided that pictures and text were necessary.  The children needed us at this point, and our conversation ended with each of us wondering what would be the easiest way to accomplish this idea.

After thinking about physically cutting and pasting a list for M, I realized that I could use the Notes Plus app on my IPad to do the same thing!  The pictures you see are what I came up with.  I will laminate the list and put it on a clipboard for M to use next week at the grocery store.  I will draw a star with an overhead projector marker (water soluble, yet can't be erased like a regular dry erase marker).  When she finds the item, she can color in or check off the box with a dry erase marker.  As she gets more comfortable with this process I will encourage her to use her marker to write the word on her own.

I hope that this brings some excitement, learning, and team work to our shopping trips and yours!  Feel free to use the lists!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for letting us enjoy the fruits of your labor!

    ReplyDelete